our fair baby

Jenny & Robert's journey in parenthood!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, January 14, 2011

Nuts for Donuts

Oh, how I love pregnancy cravings (sarcasm should be detected here!).  Some women crave salad or veggies or fruit.  Not me.  I have been craving donuts and pastries (which I never eat), the same craving I had with James, and fast food (never eat that either).  With James, I thought about donuts everyday, and never had one.  I did give in to Del Taco (fries, bean burrito, shake) one time this pregnancy, but then it made me so sick that I just remember that feeling whenever I want fast food.

I know people say you are "eating for two" when you're pregnant, but really that's not true.  You only need about 200-300 extra calories (after 1st trimester- in the 1st you don't even need extra calories), which doesn't go very far when you are hungry all the time!  So I am trying to get those extra calories from food that nourishes me and my baby, and not from sweets.  No matter what that donut-shaped devil on my shoulder is saying! 

It's not that I am staying away from all food that I crave- I do have the occasional craving for a vegetable or Indian food.  I'm just trying to stay away from the unhealthy stuff.  We don't have sugar, sweets, highly processed foods, or dairy in our home, so it makes it easier not to whip something up when I want it (i.e., cake with extra icing, cupcakes, mounds of sugar on top of ice cream...).  Luckily, we live far enough away from shops that, when a craving hits at home, I am usually too lazy (or busy with James) to go in my car and get what I want.

No comments: